David - Salt Lake City, Utah
Themes: humanism

We Are Human

by David Musick

Ever since I was a young child, I have thought that humans are the people who can accomplish whatever we decide to do. I grew up surrounded by all the seemingly magical creations of Humanity. Humans who worked in the fields of science, technology, the arts and business were constantly discovering and creating new things. I grew up with the conviction that humans can solve any problem they set their minds to.

I like to think back through the history of Humanity and consider all that humans have accomplished. Our ancestors started with little more than their bodies, minds and whatever the natural world provided for them. Over time, they created a vast array of tools, techniques, machines and ideas, empowering and enriching all later generations to build upon the good work of other humans.

I believe that humans are so special and so powerful because of our innate ability to learn. From the time we are babies, we are alert to the world and are constantly learning. We learn how to move our bodies and explore our world, learning how it works and what we can do with it. Our minds are born hungry for knowledge and understanding, always wanting to know more and be able to do more.

As humans, we are deeply motivated to transform ourselves into something greater. We are all aware of our potential to be greater than we are since we have all experienced growing up and becoming greater than what we were. Our entire lives are about transformation, change and learning, and we know from experience that we are flexible and open to improvement.

We are also deeply motivated to transform our world into a better place to live. When we know of something wrong in our world, we feel a strong desire to make things right, and our minds work to find creative and intelligent solutions to our problems.

While so many of the problems in the world are created by us, we are learning from our mistakes. Our eyes now see around the world, and we are all far more aware of what we have been doing. Our problems are not easy to solve, but the persistence and genius in billions of human beings will each work on our own areas and together improve the whole world.

We are human. We are capable of doing anything we decide to do.