Clermont - Mercer Island, Washington
Age Group: 65+

THIS I BELIEVE December 2006

I AM ALREADY IN HEAVEN

I grew up in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, a small residential community three miles west of Harrisburg. I learned to worship God in the Anglican tradition in the small, picturesque Mt. Calvary Episcopal Church where I was confirmed by Bishop Brown and served as acolyte to several vicars. I attended Pennsylvania State College where I met and fell in love with my partner in a physics lab, Ellen Faith Dawson, who grew up in Washington, D.C. Five years later we were married in the National Cathedral there when it was only half completed and I was in my senior year in medical school.

Although God surely dwells in the churches and cathedrals, I have found over the years that God is everywhere — in the forests, in the mountains, and along the streams. We have seldom attended formal church services, feeling more at home with God in the outdoors. I very much like the Judaic tradition of daven, the giving of thanks to God for one’s blessings. I feel that I have been especially blessed with a very caring wife, four wonderful children, and now eleven grandchildren and have been privileged to practice pathology for some forty five years.

The greatest blessing that God has given us is consciousness and free will. Each of us has within us the capacity and the responsibility of discerning right from wrong. If we do the right thing we have a peaceful heavenly life. If we do wrong we have a living hell.

The building of the cathedral has just been completed some sixty years later and our life is coming to its end. Over the years I have felt that I couldn’t have asked for a better life and that I am already in heaven. I’ve wondered what will come after life here on earth. Last year I was given a computer. I think now I have a clue. We have instant communication with anyone anywhere in the world and transmission of digital photographs, videos, and information including the contents of encyclopedias that I find incredible. I now envision that we will be in instant telepathic communication with all our loved ones and all who have gone before.

Enjoy.

Clermont S. {Monty} Powell