KT - Junction City, Oregon

Honestly, it’s hard to narrow down what I believe. Every piece of me is some kind of belief and to say I believe in just one thing is very difficult. In the end, I must say I believe that doing what you love is one of the keys to success.

Last November, I had, what seemed to me, an opportunity of a lifetime. I was getting the opportunity to sing onstage with my favorite band, This Providence. It was a huge step of faith on their part. I mean, we were complete strangers, but for the little I’d talked online to their lead singer, Dan, they seemed very easy-going and kind, so I wasn’t worried. I felt confident about the song and they seemed comfortable with me, so I felt I was capable.

Just before I got onstage, to my surprise, I didn’t feel nervous to any degree. Their tour manager was a huge help and the guy that sold merchandise was hysterical. When I was singing, I was having the time of my life. Once I stepped off I realized something, I had found something I truly enjoyed. I mean, I found that place where every problem in the world seemed to go away, and all I cared about was having fun and making sure these guys didn’t regret their decision of letting me join them. With the lights hitting me and the crowd cheering, I found a place where I was loved. I finally fit in and what I loved to do wasn’t abstract or seen as weird. The moment Dan smiled at me in approval, I saw their reasons for spending all day traveling in a smelly van and not being home for weeks on end. They were doing what they loved. They were having the time of their lives and I saw it first-hand.

I think everyone gets wrapped up in day-to-day life, trying to make a living or earn as much money possible. I believe that to find happiness, you must have a career or aspect of your life you are overwhelmingly passionate about. No matter how hard you have to work to get there, it’ll all be worth it. At that concert I learned a lot about myself and realized that to love life, you have to enjoy waking up in the morning and be excited for what the day is going to bring.

In the heat of another busy day he said,

“What on earth am I doing here anyway?

I’ve spent all my attention on the world and its distractions.

I’ve no time for reflection.

-This Providence “The Pursuit Of Happiness: The 1st Movement”