Amy - Mt. Pleasant, Michigan

It was a highly unlikely argument between sisters regarding their sick mother. It wasn’t about the

proceeds of a will or about transferring her to a nursing home. It was about if my mother should

continue taking a heart medicine prescribed by her doctor, but which gave negative results with

the use of a test used routinely by naturopaths. The test involved the use of a “pendulum”,

actually a simple house key, suspended on a string over a pill in the palm of my mother’s hand.

The eventual swing from left to right indicated a “NO”, this substance was not good for her; the

direction for “YES” would have been towards her and away from her.

Shown the method by a naturopath, I had been using the technique for about a year before

teaching it to my mother. Before I even knew its formal name, “radesthesia”, a practice which

dates back thousands of years, I became an ardent believer in it through its helping me confirm

food and chemical sensitivities. I now routinely rely on it to test supplements, herbs, foods, and

medications as well as interactions between them (by placing two substances in the palm

simultaneously). I have found, for example, that common substances such as black tea can have

strong interactions with herbs or medicines. It has also enabled me to detect subtle differences

between ostensibly similar products or changes in things over time, e.g. food going bad.

I believe more people should know about and use this type of testing. Despite my extreme

enthusiasm for it, however, my track record for making others believe in it has been dismal

EXCEPT, that is, for my 91-year old mother! Like myself, she became convinced of its merits

through experience. The turning point was when she had a very bad cough. Continuing to be

quite ill despite several visits to the doctor, we eventually decided to test her antibiotic and cough

medicine with the pendulum. The cough medicine gave a negative result. I then found out from

my local pharmacist that the cough medicine she was taking was for a wet cough – was it possible

her cough was dry? In fact, it was. Within 24 hours of switching her medication, she was 90%

better!! My mother continues to use the practice to this day.

Despite this success, however, some members of my family remain skeptical. I believe, however,

that people should believe in doctors a little less and listen to their bodies- from symptoms to

results of “alternative” forms of testing- a little more. I believe that conventional doctors should

also listen more to what patients have to say. Rather than being a challenge to the medical status

quo, I believe such integration and increased mutual respect between patient and doctor can

create an even better health-care system.

(For those more interested in this technique, to find your “yes” direction, simply hold a key on a

string and ask “what is my ‘yes’?”. Good luck! )