Victor - San Francisco/CA/94121, California
Themes: carpe diem, death

One of my first graders’ fathers died on the weekend right before Thanksgiving in a terrible accident. One moment he was fishing on a rock on a beautiful day with his family and friends. The next he was literally swept out to sea by a sleeper-wave – forever. Not even a last chance to kiss his son or his wife, “good-bye”. It’s as if Death slaps a rude reminder into my face every so often that my time in this life, at least the way we know it, is indeed limited. In retrospect, Life itself always seems to be way too short. After pulling myself from the wallow of grief and feelings of the injustice of this death, I realize it is this I believe – that my life is best lived one day at a time. I must treasure each and every moment I have to share with my self, my family, and my friends. I must appreciate and not take for granted even the time I have in dealing with those difficult people in my life – because those challenging interactions mean that I am still alive. I may not be able to control what seem to be the many possibilities that might determine when my life is to end: the crazy driver that’s tail-gating me; the bacteria and pesticides that are stuck in my vegetables; the pollution in the air; the cancers that seem to crop out of nowhere. I know I am to die someday – perhaps it may even be today. But what I can control is my attitude. If nothing else, it is I who can decide how I get through my life. Day by day, one day at a time, I choose my attitude and how I approach my life, the people I care about, and even the people I don’t seem to care about. I do hold long-term, short-term, and even medium-term goals, but within the framework of such goals, I choose to live my life one day at a time with the very best attitude that I have to offer.