Kelsey - Wappingers Falls, New York
Themes: afterlife

I believe in reincarnation. I believe that when you die, you are born again as another life form, whether it be another human being or an animal of some sort, representing your life before.

About three and a half years ago, my grandpa died of cancer. He lived a wonderful life and was loved by so many people. He loved the outdoors. He made his own fly fishing lures. He loved birds. He especially liked fishing birds like ospreys, eagles, and herons. He was absolutely fascinated by them. Every year he would go down to the creek and look for bald eagles. He loved to birdwatch.

The night before he died, my mom went to his house. She rode her bike by the creek and saw a blue heron. The next day, she saw another, dead, by the side of the road. Her dad had already died, also.

About three months after he died, something else weird happened. I was just walking by the window in my living room and spotted something out of the corner of my eye. There was a huge bird, about three feet tall, on the patio outside my house. I went outside to get a closer look. I was close enough to touch it, but was afraid he would fly away. I called my mom in from the house. She came out, mouth wide open. She told me it was a blue heron. It stayed out on the patio for a few minutes and then gracefully flew off. He landed a car in the nearby parking lot. My mom and I stood there, fascinated. He stayed there for a while, looking around.

We knew the bird was her dad. The bird had so many of the same traits. He was gentle, yet curious. He came to our patio and stayed with us without seeming to be scared. We both knew that if my grandpa was reincarnated he would be a bird like a heron.

Knowing that people are reincarnated makes me feel curious. What would I be if I was born again? It makes living even more worthwhile. I am so happy knowing my grandpa is with us still in some shape and form. Believing in reincarnation is both mysterious and reassuring. There is so much more to the world than meets the eye.