Brittany - Schertz, Texas

Twinkling in the December twilight on the manicured lawns and atop the roofs of the homes in the neighborhood where my mother and I take our evening walks, thousands of Christmas displays lit up the night. We saw inflatable Santa Clauses, Christmas trees of all shapes and sizes, and even inanimate alligators. But nothing caught my eye like the snowflakes- snowflakes, illuminated and glistening above the porch like mistletoe, waiting for two young lovebirds to smooch under after an evening of Christmas shopping and before unwinding with hot cocoa by the fireplace. I took a moment to soak up the scene, and while I did, I started thinking about snow and how it has always intrigued me. Unfortunately, we don’t get real snow here in south Texas, the only place I’ve ever lived, so the only thing I really know about snow I learned as a little girl- no two snowflakes are exactly alike. And then I realized that this elementary piece of wisdom holds true for humans, not just precipitation. God doesn’t make copies. Everyone differs in some way, thank goodness. How boring would life be if everyone drove the same car, wore the same clothes, or listened to the same music? I don’t want Brave New World to become true. Wars and disagreements indicate a healthy, diverse world. Just because we may not always like the way someone else does things doesn’t mean we should persecute them for it. Take religion, for example. If God made so many different kinds of people, why would He allow only one way to serve him? My mother has this Mary Engelbreit saying displayed in our living room, and I’ve adopted it as a personal philosophy. I believe that our individuality makes our world extraordinary.

Each of us possesses a unique beauty that is enhanced when we all work together. Though lovely alone, when snowflakes merge, their magnificence multiplies. Snowmen make children happy; igloos keep Eskimos warm. Though our individual actions can make a difference, far greater results mass movements produce. Musicians make nice music alone, but orchestras make beautiful music together. Groups of volunteers can rebuild homes, feed the hungry, and add to our community. If we all stick together and fight for a common cause, we can also help add a little sparkle to the world.

I believe that each one of us is a wonderful gift sent down from the heavens to add a little twinkle to the world; we are here to spread cheer to others, all year long, no matter the weather. I believe that, though we are made up of the same basic scientific elements, we have each evolved into unique beings, and we all have idiosyncrasies that define us. Simultaneously, we hold these beautiful gifts and talents that deserve to be nurtured and shared. I believe that we should not fight our natural selves, but embrace the blessings that God so kindly gave us, and like snowflakes, shine with all our might. This I believe.