Karen - Hot Springs, North Carolina

This I believe

I Believe in the ThinTimes

I believe in the Thin Times. The ancient Celts referred to certain times as “Thin” or fey. At such times the barriers which separate the spirit world from our earthly sphere become diaphanous and are more easily penetrated. Certain times, as well as sites, are mysteriously conducive to exchange between two normally separate worlds

Thin Places are those sacred spots where the hairs on our neck lift. “Something” hums through our flesh there, a “something” we instinctively know as numinous, possibly holy, but certainly alien. At these sites, we experience a powerful current coursing through the earth beneath our feet and know that it could, if it wished, annihilate us

If we feel summoned to such a site, we would be wise to purify ourselves before approaching this mysterious potency. If you doubt such places exist, think of Stonehenge or the dwellings of the Anasazie or Ancient Ones in the American southwest. The Appalachian Mountains where I live are manifestly aged; hoary with memories eons old. When I climb onto Old Petra, a house-size rock poking through the thin skin of soil here, I remove my shoes before seating myself on her moss-covered knees where I feel the pulse of power thruming through her. She was here when the Cherokee walked these wooded slopes and will be here long after I have passed on.

In addition toThin Places, I believe in Thin Times when the Spirit world leans hard on the defenses we erect against what we cannot understand or control. All Hallow’s Eve is a remnant of ancient celebrations designed to placate the evil spirits seeking access to our orderly world of time. There are the Greater Thin Times such as Solstice and Equinox; and the lesser ones observed as Beltane and Samhain when humanity tries, by means of dances and fire and ritual coupling, to drive away the darkness always threatening to take over and condemn life to sterility.

We have personal Thin Times as well. I have been aware, at the bedside of my dying parents, of deceased relatives lovingly mid-wife-ing the dying one in their passage from this world into theirs. Not all Thin Times are terrible. The moment we first recognize our future life-partner or behold our new-born child are also times when we are touched by the gods. Any period when we are caught up in such joy or inspiration that time ceases to matter, we are in a dance with the powers from the Other Side.

I also believe in shared Thin Times as when our world experiences a major disaster. Where were you when you first heard that a plane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers? Or heard that President Kennedy was shot? Thin Times are both natural and supra-natural. Some of us are more acutely attuned to them and to the occasional messengers who cross over to us with warnings of woe or promises of wonders.

Now is a Thin Time. How do I know? Because daily I hear from people who are withdrawing from society in order to listen with all their powers at the thinning barriers between this world and that Other one. I am privileged to minister to an ever growing community of solitaries around the world who, as sentinels at the frontiers, are sending back word that NOW is the time to stand up for all that is true and good; NOW is the time to stay strong in the struggle for peace and justice. I believe in the Thin Times and I believe they are NOW.