Anthony - Denver, Colorado

This I believe

Lessons from the Denver 2006 Blizzard.

As I contemplated trudging out and doing my best to get to work; the thought that I would risk my life and the tank of gas that my 4X4 would require to travel the twenty miles to my work seemed quite ridiculous. So I parked and put on my snow gear and took my three year old boxer out to play. As I forged through the four feet of snow drifts, I watched him dive in and out enjoying such a basic joy that I am sure many had overlooked. I proceeded to walk down silent streets occasionally passing stranded cars and motorists futilely shoveling small cars and sometime SUVs out. I waved and said hi to many, commenting on the small inconvenience we were all experiencing. Some were friendly, others didn’t think that small and inconvenient were proper terms to describe what a catastrophe was. Since there were no reported deaths, I found the day off and the humanness that resulted, refreshing as the chill in the air.

Therefore I came to conclusion that I believe in snow days. With all the weariness of the world events weighing heavily upon our shoulders, we need to have days like this to bring us humility and perspective. Other than essential services like healthcare; which my wife is a pediatric nurse; there really wasn’t much that really mattered. Did it matter that I didn’t call another driver that day. The answer is no, contrary to the assertion of my general manager. The world didn’t end due to shopping malls being closed. People’s lives were either put on hold, or freed from everyday constraints. That is of course which perspective you take. I personally found freedom in having nothing necessary I had to do. I had no plans other than work and since that didn’t happen, I played.

I also took a couple of hours to walk around my apartment complex and help dig people out. I haven’t taken much time in my life to do for others and this was a prime opportunity to do just that. I was not the only one. Many people came together to take the time out of their day to help get someone unstuck. With all the problems in the world and the emphasis on our differences; these minor catastrophes are simple ways to slow down and remember that we have way more in common that we don’t. Unfortunately, I can’t see the world taking this point of view and fixing the immediate and dire issues facing us as a whole, until the world gets the snow day of all snow days. I hope I am wrong. This I believe.