Amira - silver spring, Maryland

12/25/06

The power of poetry

In today’s troubled world, where conflict, crisis, and vast divisions have over consumed our lives, we all at some point try to make sense of the senseless, and yearn for time away from everything, to find inner peace; away from our daily struggle and the grim depictions of the various situations around the world that we often see and hear of.

I believe that humanity, even at its worst moments, seeks to escape reality to find tranquility. “Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstance,” as Mahatma Gandhi would say.

I believe poetry reading is a gift of peace. The power of poetry serves as a form of reconciliation and peacemaking; it speaks to the heart, transforming the heart, soul, and mind. It allows one to travel with the words and lyrics taking you to a place inside your soul, finding a way for all lost people and becoming a cure for every fever. Poetry becomes a voice of the heart, therapy for the mind and soul, healing wounds and pain, one word at a time. It becomes our counselor, our companion, our medicine, our venue for inner peace.

I believe that as a poetry writer, through storytelling, my message can reach out and connect with many. Painting images and allowing one to imagine, maybe the unimaginable. Poetry has become a voice for me, to speak-out, to be creative, to release my emotion, and heal my soul.

Poetry is a universal language that connects us all through our common humanity. It speaks and connects us through love, pain, joy…It is our language of connectedness. It is a form of peacemaking, transforming the heart; after all, all matters are at the heart, this I believe.