Lester - Franklin Square, New York
Age Group: 65+

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe, like the mathematician with the natty brown moustache and the crisp white sleeves, whose lecture I attended, that the circle he drew on the chalkboard, and every other circle to be circled, whirls through two imaginary lines in infinity. I also believe in PCP, DDT, effluence, influence, affluence and opulence. I believe in rebates and money-back guarantees, and syringes sparkling in the sun.

I believe that Brother Double-Helix knows. He knows that starstuff crumbles dry in the inexorable flow to the showers, the ovens…crumbles dry in the skulls and red rivers of Pol Pot, and in all the places and peoples that crumbled before and after…to this very minute at this very writing. Here is a body of belief…a canon…that compels my belief..

I believe in the three black S.U.V’s with the NY Yankee logos in my neighbors’ driveway. I believe in the water from the Polar Caps rushing into the ocean which one day soon…..how soon?…..soon…will turn into clear carbonated seltzer. I believe in the cigarette haze that wrapped around a beautiful violist I once knew, and is now gone with the puffs.

I believe that the Pearly Gates have always been open, and that boils in the inner ear pop in the Blood of the Lamb.

Finally, most particularly, I believe in the Titanic…in O Rings…in the eternal arrogance and chutzpah of mankind.

THIS I BELIEVE