Connie - Trenton, South Carolina
Themes: community

I am a single mother of 2 young adults who are becoming responsible and caring adults. I am the product of an unexpected divorce and subsequent drastic change in my circumstances. I have struggled in the past to keep a roof over our heads and food on our table. Through out this journey I have been continually amazed at the generosity of those around me. My faith in the goodness of mankind in general and my neighbors in particular has been constantly reaffirmed. .

I have arrived home from work worried about how I was going to be able to feed my children and found $100.00 in my mailbox or a bag of groceries on my front porch. This has happened over and over again… The small Southern town in which I live is not unique I think. People in general yearn and need to be loving and kind and generous to others.

My home is a sleepy Southern county where the average income is well below the national average, but the generosity of its people is far above what is expected.

The local hospital has only 100 or so employees yet these people provided Christmas in its entirety for 58 families who otherwise would not have had any celebration. The local Middle School has its Angel program which provides a joyful holiday to over 200 children. The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life raises over $60,000.00 yearly in a county of less than 30,000.

The local churches of the county operate a home based emergency center that provides clothing, furniture and food to families who find themselves burned from their homes or due to some other catastrophe. These same churches have a trained disaster team who have provided assistance to families flooded out of their homes in West Virginia, those whose homes were destroyed by tornados in the Mid West and to victims of Hurricane Katrina.

I consider myself blessed and honored to call among my friends those who give continually and unselfishly to others. They are the doctor and nurse who make twice yearly trips to 3rd world countries to provide what we consider basic and necessary health care and who volunteer in a local health clinic to give the same to transients and migrants.

There is the group of men who provide basic car maintenance to older widowed and single women and these same men joyfully install wheel chair ramps to make homes accessible to those who suddenly find they need them

The support, aid and most of all love that these individuals willingly give to others goes on and on. This tight knit community is bound together by the strongest of ties. Those of love and respect for others. They do these things not because it is expected or for a sense of glory but because of the unwavering and unending love they have for those around them. I am blessed beyond measure to be a small part of this wonderful community. This I believe!