William - Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Age Group: 65+
Themes: change

I believe change can make us a better person. Depending upon the person in question, and the nature of change itself, the concept of change in and of itself can make us or break us. I, like many of us, especially those of us of a certain age, struggle with change and all it portends. To some, including myself, change is often accompanied by fear of the unknown. To those of us who struggle with fear, change can make us feel overwhelmed. I tend to be one of those. Viewed in this way, change can be paralyzing, hampering our ability to think straight. It raises the question, “Why do I have to change when what I have is working so well? If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!” Recently, my wife and I, both in our 70s and cerebral palsied, found it necessary to move from an independent living retirement community to an assisted living facility and to do so within a two-week period. But for the intervention of family members and their subsequent hard work on our behalf, we could not have made this move. Now that my wife and I are settled and adjusting to this radically different lifestyle from that which we had previously known, we have had time to reflect upon what has happened and absorb the element of change as it applies to us. We now see as a couple that change can be good. We all have fear sometimes, even that of change. To those not hampered by fear change can be exciting, even exhilarating, because it challenges our preconceived notions, serving as an avenue by which we can develop the talents with which we are born. There ought to be no fear of change, despite whatever trepidations its prospect might engender. Those of us faced with a change in lifestyle or mode of thinking need to heed the inner promptings of our nobler instincts that we become not stagnant but open to whatever redounds to our personal development and which benefits the common good. I believe change can be cleansing, an avenue by which we can actualize our potential. It can be invigorating. The hardest mountain climbing is getting out of a rut. Change has the power to drive out fear and fear of the unknown can be conquered.