Robyn - Midland, Michigan

I Believe Pictures Are Worth 1,000 Words

When I was very young, I remember always wanting to take pictures. Against my mother’s better judgment, she never hesitated to allow me to use the camera. This resulted in several double exposed roles of film, hundreds of pictures of interesting objects such as my doll and my left ear, and a million pictures of the beautiful inside of the lens cap. Yes, I was indeed a photographer from the moment I was born. However, the objects which I have chosen to capture in photography throughout my life have varied magnificently.

I believe that pictures are worth 1,000 words. I believe that every single picture ever taken is beautiful and holds its own significance, from the accidental pictures of the inside of the lens cap, to the beautiful portraits of mountain sunrises. I believe in saving the blurry photos, because there is something beautiful about the fact that there wasn’t enough time to focus the picture. As memories fade and words are forgotten, pictures will tell stories through time unlike any written or spoken word ever could.

This summer on a trip through Europe I took 1,700 pictures. I could spend 1.7 million words describing my trip, but I’m sure the pictures would still give a better description of the beauty I found outside U.S. borders. I took pictures of everything from the smallest flower to the highest mountain to my new friend Steve, the snail. He is a native of Montreux, Switzerland. Each of these pictures tells a story. Without these moments, my trip would be incomplete.

Without pictures, the trip we take in life would also be incomplete. Pictures aid memories in a way that words alone would never be able to. Pictures evoke laughter, tears, smiles, jokes and stories. They are the basis of baby books, scrapbooks, and wedding albums. Long after friends move away, seasons change, and people pass on, pictures tell tales when words fail.

Take more pictures. Find beauty in things that are normally ordinary. Don’t save the camera for the special occasions. Point, Click, Edit, Crop, SAVE. Save the memories, save the good times, and keep them close. Pictures are worth 1,000 words, and long after we’re all gone, they will be what is left to tell the story.