Danielle - Dayton, Ohio

I believe in fuzzy socks. All year ’round. Socks and shoes, socks and sandals, socks and house slippers. Fuzzy socks are a layer of comfort and protection from the incessant pounding on pavement that my feet take.

I tuck thick socks into my running shoes, an thin layer of fabric that amazingly absorbs the shock of 30 minutes of jogging. I start out at a leisurely pace, light steps, relaxing my shoulders, trying to shake loose the stresses and anxieties I have accumulated during the day. Soon my pace increases, my breaths become deeper, my feet hit the ground a little harder.

Fuzzy socks protect me — from blisters, from stubbed toes, from whatever sticks and stones I encounter on life’s bumpy path. Fuzzy socks form a force field around me, as if my feet – and by extension, my whole self — have a power seldom known to superheroes.

The drafty hallways in my old house, the freezer aisle at the grocery store, tickly grass and spring breezes, even my husband’s cold toes – fuzzy socks protect me in all these situations.

And when my toes are nice and toasty, I can then spread warmth and comfort to others. On chilly winter nights, when even flannel sheets and a cup of hot chocolate aren’t enough to completely warm him, when the deadlines at work have careened together like a pile up on an icy highway that he wants desperately to avoid, my husband will crawl into bed, immediately cocooning himself in the blankets. And he’ll search out my feet, which are happily encased in chenille anklets, and once found, he will let out a contented sigh.

My good deed for the day has been done: comfort made possible by fuzzy socks.

I wish this kind of joy for everyone. One of my favorite gifts to give, as well as receive, is a pair of fuzzy socks. All colors, patterned, flecked, or textured. I have even given socks that were made from recycled plastic bottles – boy, were they unbelievably soft!

Toes are a little warmer, my steps a little lighter, life’s a little easier, with fuzzy socks. This I believe.