brian - woodland, California
Themes: freedom

Brian Smith

Period 3

8 December 2006

This I Believe…

Have you ever felt like saying what was on your mind, but didn’t think that it was appropriate enough or thought you would get in trouble? There’s no reason to be scared to say what’s on your mind. There is not penalty for saying something. Well unless you say something to the wrong person who happens to be bigger than you and is offended by what you said, then your penalty might be a beat down. But you cannot be arrested for giving your opinion. Freedom of speech does have its limitations. It doesn’t protect hate speech or fighting words. Or using lies to harm someone. Though many Americans still use hate speech or use a lot of fight words and think that they have the right to say it, when really they don’t. Freedom of speech has to be, I think, on the best laws ever written. I choose to use my freedom of speech in many ways. For example: When having a conversation with my friends I like to give my opinion if I have one, usually no matter how inappropriate my opinion is. There are occasions when I hold back on giving my opinion. Sometimes I feel that what I have to say just isn’t right for the group of people I’m talking with. I also enjoy using a few hate words or as I like to call them “fighting words” through my daily doings. Its good to release a little steam every now and then. If not you’ll just let it boil up inside you until you can’t take it no more and you just explode. I’ve seen it happen to many people in my day. It’s not a pretty sight. Without freedom of speech I believe people would go insane. Not being able to say what you feel or believe is a hard thing to do; I’ve tried it and failed. I believe that saying what is on your mind or saying something that you have been holding back for a long time is stress relieving. The world is a lot easier place to live in when there isn’t so much stress in your life.