Supriya - Redmond, Washington

This I Believe:

I believe in the influence of a child:

I believe that children have the greatest power and the most influence to bring out the best in people. I am the parent of two young children who have already taught me more about myself than anything or anyone else. My children have taught me immeasurable patience and the everyday realization of how lucky I am. They are the reason I constantly push myself to try and be a better human being.

I want to be a better human being by not: doing things half-heartedly or running across the road with no crosswalk with my children or being dissatisfied with my life or being disparaging of others, among other things. I want to be a better human being by enjoying life to the fullest with those most dear to me; by finding joy and retaining my wonder in the smallest things; by not procrastinating; by appreciating and being thankful for what and whom I have in my life.

I want to teach my children the values of peace and love and empathy and sharing and equality and fairness and most importantly, tolerance. I want them to know that we are all different from each other in many ways – what we eat, the way we dress, the color of our skin. But our core values should all be the same – across the world and across all cultures and religions. The acceptance and understanding of that is what holds us together. I know that their belief in these values will define who they are. My ability to demonstrate these values adequately and positively is how they will learn the importance of each one.

Finally, as I’ve grown older and my own little family expanded to include others, I’ve come to realize the truth in the axiom that children are the future of our world. What they do is largely based on what they have learned from us, their caregivers, whose values have been sharpened by them, our children.

For making me aspire to be a better person, I thank my children.