Alberto - esparto, California
Themes: purpose, work

This I believe…

The constant doing of one thing in such a way until you satisfy yourself, is but one thing, Perseverance. My father had always taught me to keep going and never give up, to go for what I wanted. I know that sounds usual to many people as parents tend to say that to there kids, but mine is very special.

My father was an illegal who crossed the border for a better life. He was always looking for jobs, as they did not tend to last in that time because of seasons, and he never gave up. He wanted to get, not good life but a great life. My dad knew he could get that life if he only tried hard enough. So my dad went off thinking in his mind that he could get that life he so wanted.

I was a kid who did not find much importance to school or anything at that. My grades were slipping and I was to as a person. I was a kid who did not have much of a carrier set in front of him. All until my dad talked to me, about his life and how he never gave up for what he wanted. I asked him, dad if you put so much effort into what you wanted why didn’t you get a great life? He turned to me and said, “But I did get what I wanted, a great family and a job to support that family.” He also told me anybody can get what they want, if, and only if, they never give up.

I asked him why he never gave up and he simply put it as, perseverance. Simply as going a little bit more and not stopping short of your goal. Because of my dad I now have a motive for everything I do, from school too work. I now believe that perseverance pays off. Whether it is in a big case, or just a man trying to raise a wonderful family in his eyes, it pays off. I, now a future firefighter, believe that my dad was right and perseverance pays off.