Richard - Marion, Montana

I believe in my own special style. This style mainly being a green corduroy sports coat I wear daily.

It all started while I was attending a boarding school in town in Connecticut. It was late mid-late spring, around April. It was warm, and I was going to graduate soon, for the school only went until ninth grade. A friend of mine and I went into town on a weekend and went to a thrift shop for fun. After a couple minutes of goofing around and looking through the store for cool merchandise, we found the jackets. I found my jacket on the rack, and tried it on. It fit, the only difficulty being my broken arm getting through the sleeve. My friend came across a matching jacket in brown. Yes, it was a sacrificial impulse purchase totaling to seven dollars and fifty cents.

On occasion, we would wear them to school, which required a coat and tie. Then the day came when he asked out his current girlfriend wearing that brown jacket. I even asked her about it afterwards, in a joking manner. She answer seriously that his pink shirt-brown jacket combo looked really good on him. They have been dating for over six months. From then on, I decided it would be beneficial to wear my jacket more often. So far, my results haven’t been promising, but I am persevering.

It is not just a jacket, but a way of life. The jacket symbolizes diversity to me. If I don’t wear this jacket, in a way, I am supporting a non-diverse, cookie cutter culture where fads are king and trendsetters are cool. Most people call a period like this “The 1980’s”. I, personally, never want to live in a world with acid-washed jeans ever again. Besides that, it encourages my peers around me to be more open with me and them selves. You could call it a close friend conversation icebreaker; a pickup line if you will. This allows me and my surroundings to flourish in an environment wear there are less social tensions and more honesty. Politicians should try this tactic.

I am now at a different school in Montana, far away from the falling leaves of the Connecticut autumn. But the jacket lasted with me, and here it still remains. It reminds me of good times and great friends who are not with me now. It reminds me that I am my own person, and have my own life. I believe in style that is personal to your own self. I believe in green corduroy jackets.