Brittney - Esparto, California
Themes: equality

This I Believe: Equality between the Sexes

I believe in equality of the sexes. I believe that boys are no better than girls and vice versa. Girls are just as influential and deserve as much respect as boys. Girls can do anything boys can do.

Growing up boys always seemed to have the better end of the stick. Because of old family customs boys in the family seem to get away with everything. Girls are looked upon has servants, we have to clean up and help with the children. Boys on the other hand can play and go as they please. By pacifying the boys and not the girls my family can truly tell the difference in our mentalities. My sisters and I are more independent, ready to go on this great journey through life, meet new people, and try new things. We all are ready to finally go out on our own and make our family proud. My brothers on the other hand are comfortable with being taken care of. My brother were taught by watching the elders of the family that women stay home, do chores, take care of the children, and cook for the family.

I believe in equality, that not only should a woman be respected for her accomplishments in and out of the home but that men should take on their responsibilities in helping around the home.