Eddie - Esparto, California

This I believe…

The wind blowing in my face. The lights on occasions shinning down on me. The aroma of fresh wet grass in the air, and the first feeling of my cleats hitting the pitch. This is the feeling I get when I step on the soccer field. I believe this is what sets me free. I believe that everybody has something that sets them free of worries and troubles. Something that you can turn to and forget about everything.

Whenever I’m feeling down, depressed, or I’m just in a bad mood, I can always go outside and start kicking the stuffing out of a soccer ball and it will cheer me up. Or whenever I’m having a bad day, I can always rely on practice to bring out the best of me. I remember this one time in particular.

My grades were low, my teachers hated me, my parents despised me, I was having female problems, nothing was going right. For a minute I thought about just locking myself in my room and never coming out. After regaining my senses I decided I couldn’t do that. So the next morning I woke up and decided to try to make the best of it. But the only thing I could think of was that this was going to be just another horrible day at school. But then I remembered that I had a soccer game that afternoon against pierce. Seeing the game as the only highlight of my day, I slowly wondered off to school. Just like I expected my whole day was worthless and annoying. But around the corner game time approached, 3:30. As I stepped on to the field and the whistle blew for the start of the game, I felt this enormous amount of weight lift off my shoulders. Like all the stress was gone. I was finally happy for the first time all day. The only thing I could think about was the other twenty one players on the field and how I was going to have to beat out eleven of them. Nothing else, no distractions from outside the pitch. Within a couple of minutes, we had a couple of chances for goals. Even they were missed, I still found myself smiling. Then I realized that this really made me happy. I was so happy that game that nothing could stop me. I sprinted down the field with the ball only feeling the air against my cheeks, feeling like I was invincible. I played so happy that game that I had my best game of the season. Stopping two of their shots for goals, and on the opposite side scoring two goals of my own

After the game I was so proud of the victory, that I got to thinking and I realized that this was what set me free. This believe was what made me completely happy.