Katie - Durham, North Carolina

“Are you okay?” my father often asked as my laughter got hysterically out of control. Paired with that, he would give me a look as though to say, “Is this really my child?” Then he would grin and start cracking up too. This is the way we usually spent our car rides together: laughing side by side. I believe laughter is the most important part of life. Not only does it make you feel better, it makes you and others happy. When you laugh, others laugh with you, just like in the poem “Solitude” by Ella Wheeler Wilcox: “Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.”

I think a laugh is just like a fingerprint; there are no two alike. Some people have a cackling witch laugh while others laugh like an innocent girl, and still others have laughter that sounds like music. In my Civics and Economics class with Mr. Jones, we have so many different sounding laughs that when one person starts laughing, the whole class does. There’s this one girl Sarah who laughs like a seal and then there’s this other girl Devin whose laugh sounds like an owl. It’s hilarious when they both start laughing (usually from Mr. Jones’ jokes) the whole class can’t contain themselves.

Laughter can also be medicine when you’re feeling blue. There was this one time when my friend was feeling blue-I mean her day had really stunk. She had alot of homework, got in an argument with her friend and teacher, and had a test next period. So I was sitting there talking to her, telling her things would shape up and she would be okay. Then, for no reason, I just started laughing and then she started laughing and I said “See the day’s already getting better!” I believe you can never have enough laughter.

I remember one time in Girl Scouts, we went camping and we had to climb over this moldy dead disgusting log during a hike. Well, I had on these bright orange Crocs so I was trying to climb over this massive thing and I got stuck. I was straddling the log and then, my shoe fell off. Then I saw these red ants and so I was trying to avoid them while at the same time get my shoe and get over this log. My troop leader and mom tried to help me but they couldn’t stop laughing and neither could I. Well all in all I laughed so hard I wet my pants; but I did get over the log. I was able to hike back up to the cabin and change, but I just laughed through it all. I figured it was much better then being angry and upset.

Some people think laughing is annoying and loud, but I think if you believe that then you just aren’t happy enough. I’m not saying those people are old grouches, but maybe they should try laughing more and see how it feels. I laugh all the time and when I do I feel like I can do anything; my gray skies turn to blue in a instant.