Carol - Waltham, Massachusetts
Themes: morality

Money Isn’t Everything

I believe how much money a person has in their bank account and the latest trends are not everything that is important in life.

We all judge each other on how we look sometimes. Nowadays we feel the need to always have a reason to say something about a person. Now I ask the “big question”. Do people look at you, or are they looking at what you have on?

I work in an environment where there are a lot of people coming in and out all day asking all sorts of questions. Some look sad, some happy, some are well dressed, and some don’t have enough on. When I first greet them at the desk there’s always a smile on my face. I never concentrate on what they look like, or what they are wearing. I just want them to know that I am there to help them with whatever they need. It’s not necessary to judge people; some people don’t have the funds to buy glamorous or luxurious things but they are still happy. I don’t see the need for people that show off what kind of money they have. It’s your business how you spend your money. When you decide to buy a new handbag everyone wants to know if it’s real, or if it was expensive. If you are happy with what you have, and can accept peoples praise and compliments, as long as your happy with what you own, that’s what counts.

You wouldn’t believe the pressure nowadays for what’s in style and what’s not. When someone compliments something I have on I wish that they would notice things about me then my clothes or shoes.

I’m a mother of three wonderful, beautiful children and they always need to have the best of everything. I always ask them, “Does it really matter?” Their answer is always. “YES! We want to stay in style!” That’s how they are judged by their peers. Children need to learn that looks, or what you wear, or the car you drive aren’t always that important. Looks are fleeting. Style change. Looking inside yourself to find your inner strength and beauty is what counts. We have to teach our children that style is only for the moment, and there is always something new around the corner. My mother never had money to purchase much for us, but she always did what she could to keep us happy.

I believe that the clothes you wear, the shoes you walk in, the car you drive sometimes aren’t all that important. You can’t take those things with you when you leave this earth. All you really have is your soul, and your morals. Money isn’t everything and it doesn’t create a lifetime of happiness. It’s much more important to be comfortable in your own skin, than designer clothes.