Elizabeth - Esparto, California
Themes: gratitude

Sit and Enjoy

Sometimes I ask myself, “Why am I here?” “What is the point of living?” Just asking this causes me to feel melancholy, but then I remember two little accidents that made me belief in appreciating each lovely breath of life and I feel better.

When I was around six years old my family and I were traveling by car from Jalisco, Mexico to Veracruz, Mexico. A couple days before we were traveling, my Uncle Elidio, accidentally spilled gasoline in the back of the truck. He tried to clean it but he did not do it very well. The windows were all rolled up so I had little oxygen to breathe in. To make things worse, I was smelling gasoline all the way. This caused me to go to sleep.

When my parents looked at me they tried to wake me up. They saw me looking pale, which was not normal for their little girl to be. Good enough we had passed a tool booth and were close to a store so we stopped there. While my dad went inside the store and bought a Sidral (like a soda) for me to drink, my mom made me sniff alcohol so I would recover back to my senses. My parents were really scared that day. They thought they almost lost me. Now I am happy for been here and for every breath of life I have.

Another event that happened when I was fifteen years was my little cousin was born. I was happy for having a new member in the family. One time, my cousin had an awful cough that made her difficult to breathe. The coughing was bad that made her choke and she couldn’t breathe. My mom helped my aunt take my cousin to the emergency room in the hospital. My cousin was so sick that she had to stay hospitalized. We were praying for her health to be better again. It took about two weeks for my cousin to recuperate. In those two weeks, I realized in the hospital that there were people who wished to be in great health like me. That made me believe that I should appreciate each breath of life.

Now here and there I take a look around and smile knowing that I am alive. It took me a while to know why I am here but now I know that my loved ones and I are here because my parents and family need all of us alive. That is one of the reasons why I believe in appreciating each breath of life.