Desiree - Esparto, California

I believe that everyone should have second chances. When most people take actions in their life they do not think, or know that it could cause such grieve for the other person. A person does not usually notice until after it happens. Some people are very uncaring and do it on purpose, while others do not even notice. I believe this most of all through out my personal experience with my dad.

Ever since I could remember when I was little I always wondered where my dad was. All my cousins had fathers but me. The closest to a father I ever had was my two uncles. I don’t know why but when I was little I used to call my tio Pedro “Papi” (Spanish for dad). One day my cousin and I were playing and she said “why do you call my dad Papi, he is not even your dad”. That made me really realize where is my dad, and most of all who is he? At this time in my life I was so sad because all my cousins had their dads to call dads but me! At this time I was about six or seven years old. Those childhood memories are when a little girl needs her daddy the most. After that I rapidly went to my mom and asked her about him. I do not remember what she said, but I do remember that my mom and dad went to court. All three of us took a test to see if he was my real dad in fact and it came out to be true. My mom is a very strong woman and would do anything for me. About a month later she went to court and they settled the whole thing out. The plan the court decided was for my dad to pick me up every Saturday just for the day so we could spend time together. Well before that I had to meet him. I remember like it was yesterday. The day had finally come for me to meet him for the first time. I wanted to meet him so badly but I was so nervous. What would I do when I saw him face to face? What would we say to each other? Out of all of the places for a little girl to meet her father for the first time, I met him at McDonalds, yeah out of all places! Well we got into the parking lot and my heart was pounding by this time, I did not want to get out of the car but my mom made me. So when we walked in I could smell the fresh cheeseburgers and fries cooking but I was still so anxious. There were about seven guys sitting by themselves at the tables when I got in the fast food restaurant. I was thinking to myself which one is mine, like he was a puppy dog I was going to select out for the first time. At first I thought it was this one guy sitting down but it was not. Then we turned and my mom pointed him out to me “there he is Desi”. I cannot even explain the reaction that I got when our eyes met for the first time. He bought me a little cat stuff animal and gave me a big hug and said “hi Desiree”. Sitting their with my mom and my dad that I have only knew for about fifteen minutes I was feeling a sense of awkwardness. When we went home I felt so odd, like did that just happen. So now I had my dad in my life.

To this day I am glad that I gave my dad a second chance, because a dad is better than no dad. A girl needs a dad in her life no matter what age they are! I have become so much closer to him and have met my step mom, stepsister, and half brother, which I love so much. I also would never been able to meet my grandma or my very funny aunts, uncles, and cousins that I love to death. My dad and I have never really talked about what happened, but like they always say “you can’t live in the past”. I am glad that he is here now and I see him every other weekend and on holidays. This I believe that everyone should get a second chance no matter what!