Gisel - Provo, Utah

I believe sharing is the basis for a happy family

When I was growing up, I didn’t like the thought of my sisters grabbing my favorite shirts or dresses. It was during our annual Christmas reunion that my cousin shared a story that changed my perspective. He talked about two girls who were very poor. While growing up, they always wanted to get dolls for Christmas. However, every year they would ask Santa Claus to bring them two small dolls. During the entire year, they would try to be the best daughters so one day, if they were good enough, perhaps they could each get a doll for Christmas. Regardless of all their efforts, they did not receive their dolls. The Christmas before they both turned twelve years old, the cherished doll finally came! In that Christmas Santa Claus left one precious doll under the Christmas’ tree. At first, they didn’t understand why they had to share the thing that they wanted the most, but later, they understood that they could both share that beautiful gift. When my cousin finished his story, I saw both, my mom and my aunt, crying. They were those two girls who for many years were hoping to get a doll for Christmas.

After I heard that story I was moved, because I knew my aunt and my mom had always being so united. I did not understand it before, but it was the power of sharing that made them happy and more united. I learned that sharing is the way for me and my sisters to bond together. I believe the gift of sharing what you appreciate the most is the best way to strengthen bonds and relationships as family. Sharing is what makes us united. Last summer, I went to France and realized I was not able to share with anyone those special moments on top of the Eiffel Tower or was not able to cheer with someone else for my favorite team at the World Cup in Germany. Sharing is enjoying good and bad times with those you loved because they experience with you the happiness of those special moments. I believe sharing creates bonds, unites families, and bring happiness to their lives, even if it requires to sacrifice having something of their own.