Karen - Natick, Massachusetts

Being an avid reader I see many of my deeply held beliefs and spiritual values reflected in literature. One of the great joys I experience is sharing this discovery with others who read.

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, whether the movie or the book, contains ideas that I try to hold in my heart-the belief that one’s spirit must walk abroad in the world, that an employer has the ability to make one’s work a pleasure or a burden and the belief that there is no such thing as ‘a surplus’ population.

When my daughter was small I read this story with her every Christmas season hoping these messages would resonate within her forever. I still watch it every year to remind myself of the same things.

I do not believe that genocide, wars and poverty are insoluable problems or that we should continue to be narcissaclly involved in our own wants/needs and desires.

I beleive in my faith tradition despite the failings of its human adherents. It will never be a community of perfect people.

I believe that being a parent is a privalage and the greatest joy of my life. Having been raised by my aunts after the death of my mother, I know that people who raise other people’s children are everyday saints.

I commit to holdings these truths in my heart so they will goad me to do better.