Christopher - Marion, Montana
Themes: change

Life is about changes. Everything constantly changes, whether it is people, places, or weather. We are surrounded by change; I believe that life is change.

I was born in Kenya in 1989. At the age of four we moved to Zimbabwe, five years later we moved to Paraguay. We ended up staying there for five and a half years, and after two years in Ecuador I ended up in Montana. I have been living through changes, one after another. I had to leave friends, as well as places I considered home. I learned how to adapt to new places, and how to make friends. It was hard doing this, but after moving to Ecuador I learned that I would have to accept changes or else I would be miserable. Luckily I learned this early, that life is about change. And I have realized that I am going to have to deal with change again, even though I feel like I have dealt with it enough already. I have always been sad and angry about leaving friends and places, and it is still extremely difficult to say goodbye. Life is change, we are surrounded by changes, whether they are good or bad, but there isn’t much we can do about it.

It has been difficult growing up in so many places and to leave everything behind. All of my childhood memories in Africa are those with friends, but I never stayed in touch with them after I left. And it really kills, having all those memories but not knowing where any of my friends are. But I still consider myself lucky for having those memories. I also feel stronger, I am more acceptable to change, and when I see changes happen I don’t get as angry as I used to. I accept changes because I know they will be continuous through life. Through these I have learned that life is change, and there is not much we can do about it. I have learned to accept change because I know it is a big part of life.