kevin - albion, New York
Themes: love

I believe in love. Love is the great double- edged sword of life. There is no one human emotion that has done more good, or created more evil, in the world. People have killed for it. People have died. Wars have been started. On the other hand beautiful literature, art, and music has also been created in its name. Love is what we all, as human beings, crave. Love is what unifies all people, worldwide. It is the force that makes life more than just food and clothing and shelter. Love is the great contradiction. It can at the same time, be the light that brightens our days, and the darkness that makes our nights endless. Love is why we cry at funerals. It is why we celebrate at weddings. Love comes instantly in the maternity ward. Standing at the window of the nursery, at the birth of my first grandchild, I was reminded of the importance of love. There, wrapped in a blanket, safe and warm and new to the world, was Jillian Marie. Surrounded by people who instantly loved her. Surrounded by family. I am not just talking about mom and dad, but grandparents, and aunts and uncles. She was new to our world, and she had no idea who we were, yet she was loved. The lesson was not lost. To me she was also a reminder of that old sword. I know of its ability to hurt; yet I actively seek its rewards. I seek to give my love. I share the desire to be loved. I desire to be loved by family. I desire to be loved by friends. I desire to seek and be loved by my soul mate. I desire to be loved by God. It is the power of that love that drives the world. I believe that as members of the human race and current inhabitants of this great blue marble, that it is time that we use this force for good. It is time that we as individuals put a way the idea that hunger, poverty, and war are someone else’s problem, or worse, problems with no solution. The solution is love. I believe that it is time that we use the power of love to drive us to the understanding that differences in race, color, or culture are not reasons to hate. If there is a way that we can make a difference as individuals it is through love. Love of God, Allah, the Great Spirit, a higher power, or the powers that be. Love, also of your neighbor, and by neighbor, I mean the guy next door. If we start there, at the nursery window, at the door of our neighbor, this will be a better world.

This I believe