Min - atlanta, Georgia

Working Smarter With Technology

Technology improves our lives every day by making difficult tasks easier and making us more efficient at doing them. A recent example where I was able to work smarter using technology was in my college application process. As a freshman at Georgia Tech, I, like many of my peers, spent a large part of my senior year of high school thoroughly searching and then applying for colleges.

When I first started thinking of college, I was apprehensive about the amount of time that would be consumed by this process. With my busy schedule of work and school, I was concerned I would not have enough time to effectively find and apply for the schools that most suited my needs. My guidance counselor initially recommended I review a fifteen-hundred page college handbook with descriptions of three-hundred sixty-one different schools. After spending an entire day researching through the book, I became frustrated by the lack of relevant information. Although the book contained information about colleges’ academic standing, population, location, and admissions requirements, the schools were all listed in alphabetical order, paying no organizational attention to the majors, scholarships, and applications that I was interested in. The book lacked information that could sway my decision in applying for a college. In contrast, the internet contained each school’s web site that listed everything I needed to know.

Next I decided to apply online because the applications are easier to edit, faster to access, and readily available anyplace with an internet connection. I had already begun working on a paper application from another college that was sent much too slowly by mail. I quickly realized that applying to college by traditional methods was a dreadful task. Whereas it was difficult and time-consuming to obtain colleges’ paper profiles, online links took me straight to the appropriate page that provided me with pertinent information almost instantly. For example, college links were sorted by the names, descriptions of the college, and other important information like majors offered. Search engines, web page profiles, and college archive links made the process of applying much easier than ever before.

I have learned that things can be done much more efficiently and quickly by using a popular technological tool, the internet, than by doing things the “old-fashioned” way. Technological breakthroughs have allowed our lives to become much easier than they were even a decade ago. For instance, almost all applications now can be done online. According to The Daily Collegian Online, 78% of Penn State applicants in 2006 chose the online process, as opposed to none in 1995 and 73% in 2005. Using high technological methods such as the internet has made me a more efficient and successful member of an increasingly fast-paced society. With the help of today’s modern technology, students are able to apply to schools without wasting time unnecessarily. Therefore, I believe technology has allowed me to work “smarter rather than harder,” and leaves me with more time to accomplish other goals.