Abby - Fairbanks, Alaska

I Believe Essay

I believe in friendship and that friends are there for a reason. I think that no one can learn everything on their own. I think that everyone needs a family as their foundation, everyone needs an adult that they can talk to, but most of all everyone needs a person they can relate too. In my life, friends are everything to me besides family of course. All of them have taught me a lesson, offered me a piece of good advice, inspired me and been there for me. Friends are hard to find, at least the good ones are. That’s why I think we have a lot of friends, or people we know, but how many can we actually call a friend?

There are two friends that come to mind when I think back, that I could actually call a friend. I met them in middle school, and knew one of them in 6th grade so we had a little more history together. They did drugs all the time, skipped classes, and got in trouble with the police. They did things I would have never thought of doing. They were probably the two worst people I could have possibly hung out with, at least that’s what people thought. So why were they my friends?

They were different then what people knew. They were great people with kind hearts. They knew me better then most people did. Some of the most happiest times in those days were with them. To me, they were a true definition of a friend. I know they would drop everything if I ever needed someone to talk to. They proved that to me more then once. They never pressured me into doing things I didn’t want to, and never made me feel guilty about not doing them. I also learned a lot from them. I did a lot of things that I had never done before in middle school that I am not sorry for now. They gave me great advice, everything from boys to school to family. They helped me through so much and I would probably be lost with out them. It was nice to have someone like that. When everything was gone, I had them to hang on to.

I wish I could say that I am friends with them now but I am not. Once we reached high school everything changed. That’s just what happens I guess. If they called and needed help, I have no doubts that I would drop everything to help them. That’s what friends do, it’s as simple as that. I think they taught me how to be a better person and how to point out the wrong ones. I will never forget them and the things they’ve done for me. I believe that friends make a difference in our lives for a reason, whatever that may be.