Mollie - Baltimore, Maryland

I believe in best friends. I grew up with two older brothers, a wonderful father, and male mentors, and always related best to the opposite sex. I had few girl friends in high school, and even lived with boys for two years in college. But there is no friendship that can compare to the one I have with my best girl friend.

She has taught me to embrace life. She has allowed me to self-reflect, to use her as a mirror into myself. Through my chats with her I have come to know and understand myself better. I never need to feel embarrassed telling her anything, because she would never judge me—and she’s probably had the same thing happen to her anyway! She is like my own personal diary, except she can respond. I don’t always use her for advice; often it’s just nice to voice my thoughts, fears, joys, and experiences to someone who cares. As much as I love my guy friends, they could never fill the role that she plays for me. We share an almost ideal husband and wife relationship, and because of this relationship we have raised our standards for finding a husband.

I recently picked up everything and moved to a new city to start my first job. I am a very strong person, but felt incredibly alone and scared during the first few months of my transition. My daily—and even more frequently than that—emails with my best friend provided comfort, support, and love that I so desperately needed to get through that time. I am not be the person I am today without this amazing friendship. She is my sister, and because of her, I believe in the power of best friends.