Heather - Boise, Idaho

I believe in the power of time. Time has the capability to rebuild bridges, heal wounds, and act as a catalyst for change. It has the potential to melt a cold heart and bring vision to a closed mind. It’s only through time that something can truly transform and elevate to the next level. In my life, I have seen the power of time act on myself and those around me that I love. Through the gift of time, I have recovered from injury and transformed into the person I am today.

When I was growing up, my mother used to recite a popular adage to me, “Time heals all wounds.” Over the course of my life, I have come to believe that saying is completely true. I have been able to forget betrayals and learn from unfortunate experiences. All I needed was time to reflect on what happened.

This process began early in my life. I remember being in second grade. As a young student, I was still figuring out how backpacks, desk assignments, and raising your hand worked. There was one little girl in my class who I started to be good friends with. During recess, we counted seconds on the swings and played tag together. Some would say we were the best of friends. However, during one dreadful, morning recess, my friend betrayed me. Not a betrayal with mal intent, but a hurtful one none the less. Instead of meeting at the usual spot to claim the good swings like we had promised, she decided to play with a different friend. I saw them on the jungle gym off in the distance. My heart felt, for the first time, the wound that results from a friend’s disloyalty.

Though this experience was trite and quickly resolved, the principle of time still applied. In this case, all it took was one afternoon, and the injury was gone. We were playing on the swings again that afternoon recess.

But as I grew up, I found that the hurt inflicted from other people could grow and take more time to heal. During my high school years, the same girl from the swings continued to be my friend as freshmen. Through a series of regrettable events, once again I found myself betrayed, this time with serious consequences. Our friendship was lost, and I felt the hurt run deep in my body. It could not be healed with one sunny afternoon as it had been in the past. It took years before I could grow up enough to let it go. Eventually through those years, I was able to transform myself into a person capable of forgiveness. The broken bridge was rebuilt, and to this day we remain friends. The only thing that brought back the bond was time, and the power it had to develop us as people. Time was the only thing I could give to the situation. There wasn’t one other thing for me to do but wait. Once again, I saw the active role time played in my growing up. I believe in the power of time, and the potential it has to make my life better.