Joseph - Fayetteville, New York

“This I Believe”

I believe in the simple fact that everyone needs an outlet for creativity. As you grow up and school begins to challenge you, your parents strongly encourage you to put your time into something where you can be yourself. Whether this is soccer, skateboarding, the violin, or even picking out the clothes you like, you feel as though your parents are truly supportive of something you love.

Like any average kid, the majority of us grew up participating in everything on this planet. You go to school, and every period of the day involves using your imagination, then when schools over you invent games with your friends running around the neighborhood. But then as you start to grow up and change from elementary school, to middle to high school, you develop a strong interest in a fewer amount of things and you really start to put your passion into a certain activity. The next stage of this is that you learn that you can try your hardest and push yourself, while still remembering the reason you did it was for fun.

I believe that being creative is the one thing that keeps me sane. I chose skateboarding to be my outlet for not only creativity, yet my anger and stress. Not that it feels good to have a bad day, but to have one and then take all of that stress off of your shoulders and just worry about skateboarding, has really helped me out. But most importantly I have always tried to be myself while skateboarding. I am not going to try to dress like what society thinks “ a skater” should be, or do all of the common stereotypes that come with riding a skateboard, I am solely going to ride my skateboard and see what I can do on it, plain and simple.

If you are doing something that you love, do it for that reason and that reason only. Don’t do it for status, that its getting you somewhere you never dreamed of, or for anyone else’s gain. Do this to innovate, inspire, and find what moves you.