George - Newport News, Virginia

I Believe In Santa Claus

I came to believe in Santa Claus as soon as I saw the toys under the tree. After all, they weren’t there the night before and my mom wouldn’t lie to me. And who doesn’t want to believe in free toys? What a concept, a wonderful, magical little man who brings me stuff just for being good. How hard is that when one is only 5 years old? Well, harder for my brothers than for me.

Darn those older brothers. They laughed at me for believing in Santa. They soon convinced me that I was a sap, a fool, and that I would believe anything. So one day I no longer believed. I became cynical, jaded, six-year old, but deep down inside I still wanted to believe. Although I tried not to show it, it hurt. It is sad to think that goodness has gone from the world, that “nobody gives you nothing”, “every man, or boy, for himself”. So I grew up, no longer believing, and very depressed.

Then my wife and I had a daughter; daddy’s girl, the apple of my eye. Now I had to tell her the big lie, “Be Good and Santa will bring you lots of toys.” She bought it, hook, line and sinker. She believed it so much in fact, that she started to convince me. As I put toys together at midnight, the anticipation returned. Oh my GOD! SANTA IS COMING! Santa is really coming! REALLY!

In the morning she’ll be running around screaming, laughing, so excited. Did I say she? I meant we. We’ll be running around screaming, laughing, so excited. I’ll be taking pictures, calling grandma and taking her outside to try those new skates. What a morning!

Twenty-four hours earlier it was just another day, BUT TODAY! Santa came last night! Jesus is born! Angels are singing. Everybody is so happy! The world is wonderful again. Joy to the world!

As she later napped in my arms and I contemplated her future and my past, I rediscovered the goodness in the world.

There are people who unselfishly do good, Mother Teresa.

There are people who will go out of their way for you; Mrs. Grandberry, my High School Teacher who came to my house to get me back in school.

There are people who have compassion; the taxi driver who took me to the emergency room when I almost cut my foot off, and my mother didn’t have the fare. (No 9-1-1 back then.)

There are people who consistently put others first, my Mother and yours.

There are people who give without asking anything in return, volunteers, social workers, teachers, blood donors, clergy, nurses, scout leaders, and Santa Claus.

I believe in charity; I believe in compassion; I believe in goodness; I believe in Hope.

I still believe in Santa Claus.