Brian - Livingston, New Jersey
Themes: community

This I Believe:

“There is Strength in Unity”

I believe there is strength in unity, for unity is the key to success in obtaining large scale focus and ambition in working towards the same common goal. When many individuals gather and work together, there is a strength that is developed through united efforts for a united cause.

History reveals many times the power of unity that prevails through united fronts in times of war and social injustice. When America was torn and racially segregated, Martin Luther King, Jr. had a dream to see a divided nation come together to unify as an American people. Similarly, during the American Civil War, Abraham Lincoln had a vision to unite the North and the South in hopes to restore the nation. During times of strife and conflict that divided and weakened the country, America was able to grow and prosper when it stood as a united nation.

I believe that the modern times have brought greater complexities and challenges to the world. After 9/11, America was thrust into the War on Terror and would confront numerous political issues domestically and internationally. With the growing threat of AIDS/HIV, there seems to be a difficulty in finding a cure for the millions that are infected. As a result of the fall of big giants such as Enron that have been responsible for fraud and corruption, corporations are now under greater scrutiny. Further, with the increasing amount of attention that has been attributed to global warming, environmental concerns have been raised in order to better understand the issue.

It is clear to me that there are many problems and issues of large scope and scale that prevail in this world. Since these problems are so extensive and overwhelming, there seems to be many limitations and constraints in what I personally can do. I question how much of a difference that I as an individual can make.

I, however, believe that raising awareness and uniting with others may bring a greater strength and a louder voice. I believe that if everyone stands together as a united nation, the United States of America, there will be potential in providing aid and support towards these issues. I believe political governments and businesses alike may produce a huge impact when working together when making decisions that will be tremendous in power and influence. When the world is in danger, the only way to protect and defend it would be for countries all around the world to gather and form a united front that will enable the possibility for concerted, global action.

When there is unity, a force of dynamic power and magnitude is created. When there is unity, elements of community, cooperation, and coalition are achieved. When there is unity, differences are ignored and a common ground is found. When there is unity, there is a greater hope for a brighter future. When there is unity, there is a potential power to envision, to inspire, and to change.

There is strength in unity and this I believe.