Andrew - Omaha, Nebraska

Everyone throughout their life has an obstacle to overcome. It can be as small as trying to find something to wear the next day or as big as having a loved one pass away. My obstacle wasn’t as big as the latter, but it was and still is hard for me. When I was about three years old, my parents divorced. Luckily, if you could even say that, I was too young for it to have a huge impact on me. Only when I got older, it started to affect me and my families.

When I was in my younger years, grade school and into junior high, I didn’t mind going over to my dad’s house. It was nice to go over and spend time with my other family, considering I could only see them every Wednesday and every other weekend. I also have a lot of friends over by where my dad lives. My brother liked to see me and always wanted to hang out with me because he looks up to me.

Everything started changing when I started high school. At the end of my sophomore year, I got my first long term job. This really started causing problems because I always had to work on the days I had to go over to my dad’s house. When I turned sixteen I got my car. This enabled me to have a lot more freedom and do what I wanted to. I was never really home in the first place because I was always out driving around with my friends. It was real hard to make time for my dad’s side of the family when I could be out doing other things.

I feel that I almost let him down when I am not able to be around him. He does so much for me and it seems like I don’t do anything to repay him for it. It is real hard for me to make decisions that could end up hurting one side of my family. Both of my families mean so much to me, and I don’t want to let either side down. That, in my mind, is the hardest part about having divorced parents.

It is really hard for me to have two families. I have had to make huge decisions that I really didn’t want to make. Sometimes those decisions can end up hurting one or both sides of my family. Either way, both of my families have been behind me every step of the way no matter what. I know I can always count on them to be there for me.