Brittnie - Fairbanks, Alaska

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

“Find out what it means to me”

Someone had once asked me, “What is our purpose in life?” At the time that I was asked this simple question, that I was sure to answer, I was never able to. After this event, I started to look at people’s lives; the ups and the downs of how they live. By doing so I started to look at life, and my own in different perspectives.

“Life is what we choose, respect is what we give.”-Robert Byrne. This quote has multiple meaning to what he might have wanted. For me, it is really about respect and really what you choose to do with your life. The greatest respect that I could have learned to show is towards my grandfather, for the simple reason is, his respect is the best thing, and the only thing that I really have for myself. By respecting him, I have learned great opportunities for becoming independent, to live a great life, and for what I can become in the future.

My mom died when I was at a young age. I have an older brother, and an older sister. When our mom died, we got split up. My sister lived with her dad, my brother with my grandma, and me with our grandfather. Our grandfather loves to travel, so I got moved away from the family. I hated it for years. I felt like I was missing from the family. As I got older, I realized that I benefited from this opportunity. I learned how to respect authority; I’ve learned job opportunities, and many life aspects. Best of all, from losing a loved one, I gained a special relationship with my grandfather.

I’ve noticed over the years my siblings have gone though some rough times. They have gotten into drugs and their lives have fallen. I wonder many times if I never left to go live with my grandfather, would I have been in the same situation?

I can tell you that I was a pretty rotten child when I was little. I wonder how my grandfather put up with me, but he did. On the days that he couldn’t handle it, and we’d get into arguments, he’d walk out the door. I would feel horrible. I would sit by the window crying, waiting for him to come home so I could apologize. I have realized that we had been though a lot together, and we depend one each other. That is a special bond between us.

I believe you will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of. You will never live life if you are looking for the meaning of life. I have searched for happiness, but I figured out that instead of happiness and finding the true meaning, I can always look back to the great memories I have, but I can’t imagine anything more exciting than the life I have now, for this I believe.