Joseph - Manlius, New York
Themes: integrity, work

The Keys to Success

I believe that every individual has the ingredients to be successful, but only those with the right attitude, drive, and determination will achieve their goals. When defining success, I do not mean that you have to be a CEO or a millionaire; rather success in my opinion means living a happy life and knowing you deserved it. Of course, even if you develop strong character traits, accomplishment will not come in the blink of an eye. When stuck between a rock and a hard place, people should continue through their hardships with a positive attitude and in a morally correct fashion. Individuals should ignore the naysayers and others who have given into resolving their problems without ethics, because in the long run, one’s upper handed character will shine through. In addition, I think that all people, no matter what hand they have been dealt in life, are given an opportunity to choose a certain path that will lead to their prosperity.

I believe my father is a good example of this concept. My dad grew up in a family that by no means was wealthy. There were five children all squeezed together into two small bedrooms. My father recognized how other families had it better than he did. Instead of being jealous, my dad made it a goal of his to one day have that same successful life. After putting himself through college by working nights and weekends, he graduated and opened an accounting firm with his brother who shared a similar determined attitude. That was 24 years ago, and to this day their business is still thriving. They found success by developing a reputation of being hard working and honest. My father was given an opportunity, he took it, and through his strong character achieved what he had wanted.

So far in my life, I feel the personal characteristics of hard work, determination and honesty are prevalent in how they lead to accomplishment in my life at school. When I am well prepared for a test or quiz, it almost always shows in the grade I receive. If one cheats on these tests, they would not learn the information and eventually, their dishonesty would lead to failure. At school, the level of work can be demanding. In addition, I am involved in many different school related activities and clubs. I work my hardest and try my best knowing that in the end, my hard work will pay off and pave the way for an accomplished future.

It is evident in society how one’s personal characteristics can affect one’s standard of living, overall happiness, and how others may perceive you. All and all, it is my life goal to develop the characteristics of dedication, determination, and honesty. I recognize that in addition to these three major driving forces, there are others that are quintessential to an overall sense of achievement. I also believe that no matter what your profession is, that with the characteristics of overall drive, determination, as well as honesty, one has the ability to thrive. Often times it is not the education given to you that truly enriches you, but rather your enthusiasm and correct train of thought that can lead one to an accomplished life. I believe that if I or anyone else can fully develop these distinctive traits, success will be knocking on our doorsteps.