Marielle - Fayetteville, New York

I believe that communication is the glue of life. It holds people through the tough times and creates a way of flexible planning and trouble free procedures The only way to pursuing a relationship is through communicating.

When I was nine my parents got a divorce. Though my brother was too young to understand what was going on, it crushed me. Whenever I asked my mom why she and my dad were separating, she said it was because neither of them communicated with each other enough. I had never realized this about my parents, but when I thought about it, it all fit together. My dad would come home from work much later than my mom did, he sometimes even missed dinner. After a while I realized he wasn’t even sleeping upstairs anymore, but down on the couch. When I did hear them talk, it was loud yells coming from another room. The fights were daily, and I wouldn’t consider that communicating. Then the day came when my dad moved out. Calmly talking about their situations could have solved their problem, but sometimes it is hard for both sides to cooperate.

Thinking about it, most of my friends parents are divorced. Sad times like this happen all the time, sometimes because of miscommunications.

When I was in middle school, my best friend’s name was Leah. I still like to think of her as my closest friend, except for the fact that we haven’t talked in four months. We live twenty minutes away from each other, but things change. When I switched schools, Leah and I still talked on the phone every night and hung out almost every weekend. As time went on my phone stopped ringing and Leah became too “busy” too hang out with me. After a while, we just stopped talking. When I would talk with my other friends they would tell me that Leah never spoke or hung out with anyone but her boyfriend. She was too caught up in him to remember her other friends. Now that she hasn’t talked to anyone but her lover, everyone has forgotten her.

Communicating could end up hurting people too if one person doesn’t hear the whole story. Miscommunications happen everyday, and from personal experience are worse than not communicating. I believe that language and expressions with one another change the way we think, act, learn, and feel.