Hannah - Manlius, New York

Friends listen to what you say.

But best friends listen to what you don’t say.

I believe that friendship is stronger than pain. People go through many different emotions everyday. Happiness, sadness, anger, or laughter. But sometimes it seems that no one really sees if something is bothering you. You may try to hide by putting on a happy face, when really you feel as if you’re dying. And that you can truly believe that no one understands what you’re going through, and that no one sees that you’re having problems. Sometimes if you tell someone, they will counter with “Oh, well, you have it easy.” and launch into a description of how their life is so much worse. All you want to do is talk. All you want is for someone to listen and to understand. As my friend Erica put it, “You can’t compare two types of pain.” Sure losing a family member is a little different from losing a pet, but at the same time each meant something.

But there is one person who can always tell if something is wrong. Your best friend is not one who will go off and tell you that their life is so much worse. They will listen. They don’t judge and they don’t interrupt. Your best friend you can call at two o’clock in the morning crying that your boyfriend has just broken up with you. Your best friend that will show up at your house late at night, just because you said that you were “fine” or “all right”. A best friend can somehow know when something is wrong. No matter what has happened, a best friend can give you a new perspective on a situation, and help in any way they can. Sometimes they just give you a look as if to say “How are you?” Your usual response is “I’m fine” or “I’m alright”. They give you a look that says “No, your obviously not. Tell me.” It’s an honest look, a look that makes you want to open up.

Emily is my best friend. She can always tell when I’m sad. She can just give me a look, and I know she understands. I’ve known her for four years now, and each day we grow closer and closer together. We have seen the best and the worst of each other. Our friendship has been tested; we have had our ups and downs. But we come out tighter and stronger, and more knowing. We know what to say and what not say around each other. What buttons not to push. We know how to respect each others privacy and understand that sometimes being alone is better than talking. When I started to call her my sister, she found a saying that we both fell in love with: “We’re best friends cause destiny couldn’t handle us as sisters.” Friendship is stronger than pain. This I believe.