Alisa - Fayetteville, New York

Family is the Most Important Friendship

I believe in family time. Ever since I can remember my family spends time together. In my family we always have dinner together on school nights. During the weekends we make time in our individual schedules to be with each other. I believe this is important because friends will come and go but family will be there for you your entire lifetime. It is your family who raises you and teaches you what is right and wrong. Your family nurtures you and provides you with a stable environment. You are sustained by your family.

In some of my friend’s family they hardly eat together and their father is out of town on business trips all the time. When I was younger I used to wish that I could have TV dinners like some other kids I knew. Sometimes I wanted to just eat whenever I wanted and not have to worry about setting the table or anything. However, as I grow older it becomes apparent how important eating together really is. At the dinner table we talk about what happened during the day, what our plans are for the weekend, and what is going on in the world. I enjoy having home cooked meals every night that do not just get placed in the microwave. Even if nothing exciting happened during the day and we have nothing to talk about, we can always laugh about something my sisters do. I have two younger sisters who entertain themselves and love seeing people laugh with them. They make things more entertaining and I feel that my family bonds simply by being cheerful together. I also believe family bonding is important because if there ever is a time when you need serious help your family will be there for you. It is easier for you to talk with your family in a time with need if you are close with them. When you get into a bad situation you must be able to talk with someone about it to solve the problem. When you hide a problem or keep it tucked in deep inside of you it does not help and it makes you feel even worse. This sometimes leads to even bigger problems or situations that start just by you trying to cover it up. You need to trust your family and be friends with them.

The friendship that you have with your family is different than the one with your friends. A friendship between you and a friend is usually a friendship with people on the same level and mutual respect. With your family you must be like a friend but at the same time you must have a higher respect for them.

All over the world people have family time in their own ways. In Israel they might go to synagogue together, in Cuba they might dance together, and in England shop together. I hope that when I’m an adult and raise a family I will set aside times from my busy work schedule to be with my family. I thank my parents for instilling this belief in me, and I hope to pass it on to my children. This I believe.