Gabby - manlius, New York
Themes: Christianity

What comes to your mind when I say “Christian”?

“Bible Thumpers,” “Jesus Freaks,” “Small minded bigots,” “Religious nuts,” these are all names that people constantly call Christians. As a Christian I believe that we aren’t at all like that. Yes we love Jesus Christ, and yes we live our lives by the Bible, but small minded we are not! Most Christians do not throw the Bible at people and most do not throw scriptures at them, but some do. This is the reason why some people portray us the way they do. People have to want the scripture in order for us to “throw” it at them; they have to be open minded to the idea. I as a Christian don’t go around yelling portions of the Bible at people if I don’t agree with what they are doing. I don’t tell them they are going to hell if they don’t believe in Jesus. I mean honestly, I am a normal teenager, my parents are normal people. I go to parties like all other teenagers, I go to concerts of the “popular” bands and rappers, I go to a public school that teaches evolution, so do these things not make me a Christian? My mom loves to go clubbing, and my dad does too. Does this mean that they are “unworthy” of Christ? Of course not! I go to church most Sundays and I’m human, not perfect, sometimes I miss a day or two of church but I go when I can. Being a Christian doesn’t mean being perfect, it’s all about your own relationship with God. People have to yearn the Word for me to give it to them; they have to at least show interest. You are allowed to believe what you believe without “us”/Christians saying anything about you. We don’t go around and JUDGE people by their religion. I don’t go around and point out “Hey! Look! It’s an Atheist” or “Oh my Gosh look at that Jehovah’s Witness!” or “Can you believe that torah thumping Jew!” … no you don’t see me doing that! I know I don’t. I think people portray us as close minded people; I like to keep my mind open to things, if somebody and I have conflicting opinions I like to hear theirs. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Why are Christians portrayed this way? Probably because there were Christians like this… That DOES NOT mean that we all are. Unfortunately Christians are portrayed in a bad way. I believe that the people who “Bible thump,” don’t do it to be annoying or go against anyone’s religion; I think they do it because they are “looking out for the good of others.” They just want to help, not make problems worse. I mean for example look at the book and movie “Inherit the Wind.” Christians are showed to be very conservative, and unwelcoming to anybody but Christians. We aren’t! We welcome everyone and anyone. Christians are supposed to be loving, caring and followers of God. We are supposed to be welcoming and peaceful. So if I told you I am a Christian what would you think of me? Would you judge me? I hope you wouldn’t. I’m just a normal teenager who has fun and believes in God. Is that so wrong? I just don’t understand why we are looked down upon by so many people. If somebody can tell me, please do. I think I have the right to be a Christian without being judged, is that so much to ask for? I don’t think it is.