Chelsea - Manlius, New York

I believe in the importance of music. Music has been in me ever since I was born. As a baby my dad would rock me to sleep every night listening to music, and we listen to it while cooking when he’s home/ Music is one of my memories as a child that has a great impact on me to this day.

Music became more of a regular thing for me as I grew older. I wasn’t just listening to it; I was now recognizing artists and actually understanding the lyrics in the song. It is my way of expressing myself, and just getting out. Now as I am fifteen I realize that all my decisions revolve around my music. I fall asleep listening to music, I wake up to music, I go for long runs listening to music, and I do my homework while listening to music, and listen to music while I’m painting, it helps me be more focused and expressive. Music hasn’t just helped me through my art, or my fitness, it has brought me even closer to my dad. I would have never had such a strong passion for music if it weren’t for him.

Sometimes on weekends we just sit down together, sifting through his hundreds of CD’s that he has collected over the years. We don’t have the same style because of our age differences of course, but we both enjoy music so it doesn’t really matter what we listen to.

I know that some people may think that metal is too loud and obnoxious, or that classical and jazz are boring, but everyone has there own style. I am the type of person who likes country, and pop, but there is international, jazz, classical, blues, metal, and those are only a few. Sometimes when I get sick of a certain style I may break outside of the box and listen to something totally different, so I can see maybe why other people like that style. I believe that music can change who I am, and shape me as a person. It gives me topics to think a bout, it gives me a way out when I am stressed, and it affects my personality.

My personality and first impression to people is very important to me, and I think my music has helped me be more outgoing and brave. When I am sad I listen to upbeat happy songs, and it does make me feel better. If I listened to dark, slow music I don’t think I would be the same person that I am today. I wouldn’t have the same personality, and I wouldn’t care for the same things that I care about now. When I look at my past I see how music has pathed the way of my future, and when I get scared, I step back and let my music lead me, where I need to go.

Every once in a while I have a bad day, and music makes it better, I believe that music has lead me to express myself, and define who I am as a person, and if it wasn’t for my dad and my music I believe that I wouldn’t be the same person that I am today.