Brandon - manlius, New York
Themes: war

Don’t Jump To Violence

I believe that violence is often used when it is not absolutely necessary. People often try to “solve” their problems with forms of violence or aggression, although their initial problem may be solved they have most probably hurt someone or something. I strongly believe in solving problems in the least aggressive way possible. Every day there is always a sad news report explaining a tragic act of violence. Last year in the city of Syracuse alone 19 people where murdered, 73 people where raped and over 600 property crimes occurred. A great majority of theses crimes were horrific acts of violence.

A huge majority of these problems could be solved in more constructive ways such as listening and understanding, and in certain cases such as domestic issues counseling could serve as a great violence preventative. I believe that tolerance is a huge tool to avoid the use of violence in a conflict, if the two conflicting parties can stop fighting and speak and listen to each other his or her problems could be solved. Violence is notorious for occurring when a person is so set in their ways that they shut out other’s beliefs and express their frustrations violently.

The ways by which conflicts are settled is also important in global politics. Violence between countries is often expressed in the form of war, although war is sometimes needed to solve a conflict it should only be used when it is an absolute necessity. War is very damaging to everyone the families soldiers, innocent civilians, and neighboring countries.

The violence that is caused by the act of war is devastating enough but the aftermath is even more devastating. The United States Of America attacked Bagdad on March 19, 2003 starting the war in Iraq, it is now 3 years later and tensions in Iraq are worse than ever. The people in Iraqi are still outraged because we want democracy for them and a good majority of them do not want the unification that it offers. Us. Troops are still in Iraq getting killed by the dozens, and more innocent Iraqis are dieing each day. This situation shows how devastating violence really is. Currently the large majority of acts of hate and violence in Iraq are being caused by Iraqi terrorist groups, and we have are troops in danger staying there to finish out the job of pushing democracy that we started. The United States is defiantly at fault to a certain degree for all of this hatred and violence that is causing death. I make this point because tensions in Iraq rose dramatically from when the US. Stayed out of Iraq to the start of operation Iraqi freedom, all though are tensions where “democratic” are action of attacking Iraq when our enemy was Afghanistan was a act of violence that had devastating repercussions.

Although many feel that the United States had the right to attack Iraq because of the horrible government and terrorist groups I feel that the act of violence that we created caused more turbulence then if we left them alone and protected our borders. Since the Iraqi war 2907 American soldiers had died, ask yourself was starting a war that has killed thousands and is destroying our economy worth it?

I feel that violence is a very harmful and risky solution that has many repercussions for a situation, and it should only be used if absolutely necessary. For example I feel that if there was a hostage situation and the welfare of innocent civilians where in danger a form of law enforcement would need attack the criminals in order to save innocent people’s lives, this I believe.