Zoe - Fayetteville, New York

Family: The Key

I believe in the value of family. Big or small, ordinary or unique; each one is a community to which we can belong. I have grown up in a unique household of two brothers and three other sisters, two black and three brown, and everyone is adopted. My family has been through a lot of things that most families go through, and maybe a couple more.

The uniqueness of and conditions in my family have certainly limited us in some ways. There is only one driver and one car to run people around with. Money doesn’t just float around the house, and neither does time. But the more challenges we face, the more we learn. Actualities such as these helped me realize the significance of family.

I learned the value of having a family as I grew up. Someone was always there to play with me and sometimes I could even get someone to help me out with something! Despite all the happy and sharing moments that you would expect to find in a family with six kids, there were also times that I learned new qualities, that weren’t as pleasant; when you made a sister cry, when a brother hit you, when Mom demanded that you share something that everyone understood was clearly yours and so on. I continue to endure disagreements with all of my siblings, but I have faith that someday, I will be best friends with my family.

Although family members would probably be the last people that we would want to hang out with when given the choice, in hard times, they seem to be the ones that we want around. Sometimes I need my family to see the light at the end of the tunnel or for a bit of advice for the future. We all should have faith that our family will always be there for us. When trouble came knocking at our door, my family was there for one another.

Recently, my mom was diagnosed with a very good prognosis of breast cancer. But none the less, it was cancer. Vacation was canceled, rides from home ceased and the waters turned choppy. But my mom had family everywhere. She had all of us at home, and at work she had a second family.

At the house, as she came through the door exhausted and nauseated, she would see the chores being done. Someone would be turning over the laundry; another person would be doing dishes, another cooking dinner and so on until the place looked as if five teenagers didn’t inhabit it. At the hospital where she works, her colleagues supported her in every way. They even accompanied her to chemo sessions, and brought us flowers and even homemade dinners.

Remembering that there are many different types of families, we can recognize at least one that we are a part of. A family is there to keep you company, help you climb up the mountains of life, and jump over the mud puddles. It is just one of the communities that we are each a part of. In general, it is crucial that we can be a part of a group that will accept us for who we are and what we do.

Family is a necessary component to a gratifying life. This I believe.