Tyler - Fayetteville, New York

BETTER ATTITUDE, BETTER LIFE

If there is one thing that drives even the most basic of actions and thoughts, it is attitude.

Think about it.

In just about anything you’ve ever done, you’ve had a choice. To choose to go and get a burger with your friends, or to stay at home and do that project that’s due tomorrow. To choose to stay mad at somebody, or to take things into consideration and forgive and forget. To choose to be a friend to someone that needs one, or to be one of the crowd and walk by that person every day. Any and all of these choices are determined by the attitude that you have, in general and at the time. If your attitude is that of a hard worker, trying to better yourself and others, you would probably take the right path; but then again “right” is dependent on attitude as well, which is why attitude is something that I strongly believe in.

In my life I have many ways to express attitude. Being a musician, I can express it though my music and even technique or playing style. If I feel good, and everything’s going well for me, I feel more lighthearted, I have a better attitude; therefore my playing style is going to be lighter, more focused, and more in the groove. With a bad attitude it is quite the opposite. I might play heavier, or sloppy, or stick out more than usual because my mind isn’t all on the task at hand.

Another way to express attitude (or really, that attitude affects my actions) personally is athletics. As an athlete, my game can suffer as a result from attitude being too light or too heavy. If my head isn’t in the game, and I don’t have the attitude of a player aiming to win, I can’t reach my potential. If I miss a basket my attitude might plummet, and then I might not have faith in myself the next shot I take, taking my game down as well. In Aristotelian terms, we must survive be finding the Golden Mean.

If attitude effects me in such a way, I know that others will be altered by it as well, which is why I can’t help but expose this conviction in attitude.

In another light, I think that the world could be bettered by a change in attitude. Since attitude is the base of every action, a better attitude in general would result in better treatment of people, and the betterment of a lot of places and peoples. For instance, if Hitler had not had such a mercilessly superior attitude towards the Jewish race, the 3rd Reich would never have been put together, and WWII would probably never have happened. The same message can come from the war in Darfur. In short, I don’t like their attitudes! But the ever-present “if factor” is propelling me to ask, “What if Hitler had a better outlook on things? How many lives would be spared, or how many more people would have thrived?”

See, attitude is passed on from one person to another; it’s a chain reaction.

How will yours affect your life, or, more importantly, others’?