Daniel - Manlius, New York

I believe in humor. Humor in my life has always played a hugely important role in my life.

When I was younger, my parents were always making jokes, making me laugh. It really helped me to lighten up. My parents are still making jokes; obviously they’ve become a little too old to be funny anymore, but the casual environment at home makes it easier for me to talk to them and easier for me to feel comfortable at my house.

I don’t take everything so seriously anymore. If I’m having a bad day, or something has been bugging me watching a funny show like Seinfeld or something else can really cheer me up and help to get the other problem out of my mind.

Humor can provide an escape from the upsetting parts of life. Instead of suffering through your problems you can shrug them off by laughing it away.

When I’m meeting someone new, a joke or casual humor can break the ice and make getting to know them easier. Just joking around with someone can make them feel more like they’re part of the group. I know that when I first meet someone I will feel more comfortable if they are casual. If a person is uptight and quiet and shy, it is a lot harder for me to get to know him.

Humor can also be used in academic advancements. When I have used it in English or other subjects, I turned out getting really good grades on whatever it was.

Humor can really connect people. I think problems in the world are magnified when people don’t have a sense of humor. If only people wouldn’t take everything so literally things like racism would go away. There was a time where racism was a serious issue and people actually meant to hurt people. Now the problem seems to have evolved into a less serious issue. People don’t say things with intentions to hurt things; people are just joking around and people take what they say too seriously.

Stereotyping also cannot be taken as an insult if someone isn’t intentionally trying to hurt someone’s feelings. I won’t take it as an insult if someone called me “whitey” or some other “racial slur”; people don’t say these things to insult people anymore. If people laugh about things that they might have once taken offensive insults don’t hurt.

I think even if it is hard for someone to accept humor, or for him or her to get a sense of humor it is a necessary part of everyone’s life. Life without humor won’t make a good future.