Clare - Watertown, South Dakota

I believe in the living Presence close to my heart and yet still throbbing through out the infinite silence of the universe, simply here, simply there – simply everywhere. And whatever name you give this Presence, within or without, engenders connection with the One and its Infinite Power so simply given we call it Miracles or Grace.

This One has given me such experiences of miracles and graces that it forged my faith so simply that by age 24 I could even smile when I saw we were going to crash into an unannounced road block as our brakes did not work. I surrendered saying inside “Either this is the moment I go or I’m protected. It’s in God’s hands.” I was two months in traction but I did fine.

At age 20 while a struggling student I was without money for food five days before the end of the month. After going through pockets, drawers, pillows, everywhere I could think in my little apartment I only rounded up 26 cents. It was late and I was tired. I said out loud, rather rudely I felt, “Oh You take care of it; I’m going to bed!” And I went to sleep. When I awoke in the morning and sat around to the side of my bed, there on the floor at my feet was a brand new dollar bill. I was awed and looked up into the empty space of my room and said humbly, “Thank you.” When I went to classes it was cold so I put my hands in the previously examined pockets…a paper…I brought it out; it was a brand new five-dollar bill! I thought, “Wow, six dollars, enough to have food until the first of the month! Thank You.”

At age 16 I was the last of seven on horseback going around a narrow cliff when there was a cracking noise and my saddle and I flipped over sideways. My right hand reached up grabbing the main of the horse while my left shoulder was near the front left elbow of my mount. My eyes were glued to the trembling legs of the horse and slowly I tried to lift myself. My weight, plus western saddle, tilted the balance at half way and I saw the horse’s right legs next to the wall of stone lifting. I dropped back down knowing I could not go up and that since this path was only wide enough for a horse and it was full, no one could come towards me to help. I looked up at my friend Lorrel on the horse before me and shrugged my shoulders like ‘Sorry’. Then, against Mr. Gardeners advise, the father who was taking us to this lake at 10,500ft to fish for a week, I looked down. I had two thoughts, one) “I remember reading in an Alfred Hitchcock book when you fall from great heights you usually have a heart attack before you hit the bottom…so I won’t feel pain.” Two) “This is really going to upset Mother.” Immediately, with out the echoing clop clop of hooves hitting the rock path from the earthen one we’d just left, a beautiful man with long brown hair and beard, dismounted on the cliff and came over. He reached for me under my arms, lifted and stood me on the stone cliff while he adjusted the saddle and did something to it. Then he picked me up behind my waist and lifted me over the rump of the horse back into my saddle. I was in shock, as were the others. They were mouthing to me in this incredibly silent 60 seconds “Where did he come from?” and I mouthed back silently and shook my head “I don’t know!” Then my Self said, “Clare, this man has just saved your life and you haven’t even thanked him!” I immediately turned in my saddle to look at him. It rose from my depths and came out, “Thank you!” He smiled, his eyes smiled, they were twinkling; it seemed like they were full of a kind laughter. And then he bowed his head. We never spoke. An hour later we got to Turkey Lake and he continued onward.

I have said “Thank You” many times; it feels so good.