Jacob - Louisville, Colorado

LIFE IS NEVER EASY

I have many beliefs on what’s right and what’s wrong. I found out the hard way on doing what’s right even though it is not always easy to do. My parents always told me to do the right thing no matter how hard it was. They also told me that you may never get anything in return but, just be grateful. When I was younger I was with my parents at the mall. I see this man pull out his wallet to pay for his gift and I just see a $20 bill fall down to the ground. The guy did not notice the money that had fallen out. I did not want to tell the guy and just keep the money. When the guy started to count his money he must have thought he had it all. In the corner of my eye I see some kids in the food court staring at the guy.

I was young and thought that the kids were going to help the guy so I didn’t have to. I stood there just thinking that what if those kids were going to steal the money and not tell the guy. My parents started to walk away and I started to follow them. The guy also walked away and I just decided to keep the money. I thought that if I see the guy later in the mall I would give him the money back but, I was hoping I wouldn’t see him. I was leaving the mall and then I saw the guy walking out of a store. So, I decided to go and give him his money back. When I got to the guy I tried to tell him that he had lost the money and I just wanted to give it back to him.

When I started to talking to the guy he told me that he was just at the mall to buy his wife a gift. The guy also told me he did not like to shop at the mall because of all the punk kids that just stare at people. At first the guy tried to deny the money and said that it must have been some one else’s money. He did not believe me until I told him that I found it in front of the store where he had purchase his wife’s gift. Soon after he had accepted the money my parents came in after me and told me never to leave them again. They apologized to the guy for bothering him. The guy just said don’t worry about it. I left knowing that I had done the right thing even I did not get anything in return.

From all of this I believe that doing what’s right is never easy to do. Even though I got in trouble by my parents because I ran off I felt like I had done the right thing. My parents also realized that I was trying to do the right thing and I got some cash to spend. I knew that one day some one else might do the same for me if I was in that predictament. This experience made me realize that society may not accept something bad you do for the right cause in my case for example.the same for me if I was in that predictament. This experience made me realize that society may not accept something bad you do for the right cause in my case for example.